As I wrapped up the thankfulness challenge last month I was reminded that there are so many things that I have to be thankful for. I have started to focus more on becoming mindful of the blessings in my life, both big and small. As I shifted my focus towards this mindset another challenge came to mind that I want to present you with today. This challenge is to challenge you to step out this month in kindness and share your blessings with those around you.
My challenge to you this month is simple to focus on giving back to those around you. You may use this challenge daily as a reminder or you may just select a few ways to give back. There are no written rules just a reminder to be the reason someone smiles this month. Bring some Joy to someone’s life even if it is just in a small way.
Below are some suggestions to challenge you to give back:
- Leave a small anonymous gift at a coworkers desk
- Cover the order of someone behind you in line
- Donate items or money to a local food pantry
- Bake something for someone to surprise them
- Visit an elderly or ill person this holiday season and take them a meal or baked goods
- Do a good dead for your neighbor ( bring his trash can back from the curb, shovel snow, rake leaves)
- Offer a helping hand to someone in need today
- Lend an ear to someone who needs to talk
- Call up your mother or father just to tell them you love them
- Volunteer at a local homeless shelter or soup kitchen
- Invite someone over for a home cooked meal
- Look for various charities to support this holiday season. A favorite of mine is Angel Tree donate however small or large you can afford and make a difference in someone’s life.
- Give an unexpected gift card to someone you barely know in a service industry. Let them know you appreciate their hard work and what they do everyday.
These are just a few suggestions of ways that you can reach out and make an impact on someone’s life this holiday season. Remember that although the holidays are a joyous occasion they can be incredibly difficult for some people also. The holidays are especially hard on those who are alone and who have lost loved ones whether now or in the past.
When I was a little girl my sisters and I used to go sing Christmas carols at a local nursing home. The elderly people at the home looked so forward to our visits and just adored having these children sing to them. Let me assure you that if you give of your time and money to be a blessing to someone else this holiday season, you will receive the richest reward. This reward comes in the form of a joy that you can only experience when you lovingly give to others without expecting anything in return.
I challenge you today my friends to go out and spread some joy. Make a difference in someone else’s life starting today.